Injera (Ethiopian Sourdough Flatbread)
Makes 5 Large Injeras (Crepes)
2 cups TEFF flour
2 cups self-rising flour, rice or barley flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
5 cups luke warm water
- In a large bowl mix 2 1/2 cups water with 2 cups TEFF flour.
- In a blender mix self-rising or other flour, 1/2 teaspoon
baking powder and 2 1/2 cups water, then pour mixture into a
- Cover both bowls and leave them for 2-3 days until fermentation
and water has risen to the top of each mixture.
- Carefully pour off the water that now covers the mixtures.
- Combine the two mixtures in one bowl, cover and let the mixture
stand for 2 hours until it rises.
- Pour the batter evenly to form a thin layer over the surface of
a large heated skillet. The skillet temperature should be 425F.
- Cook mixture until a spongy, crepe-like bread is formed. Remove
from heat and allow to cool.
- Place food on injera and arrange folded injera around edges of
Injera around edge of dish are used to pick up morsels of food.
Taken From ``Taste of Ethiopia'', for this and scores of other exciting
recipes to eat with injeras, contact below for current order info:
2116 18th Street. N.W.
Washington, DC 20009
Phone : (202) 483-9499
Fax : (202) 483-9497