Ethiopic Languages User Interface
Components of ELUX
- The natural languages ELUX will provide specifications for. These
languages will generally be those using Ethiopic script as their
writing system. Ethiopic languages using other scripts may also be
- Font Sets
- The writing systems and encodings used in Ethiopic text.
Generally Ethiopic, Roman (European), and Arabic.
- Input Method
- Specifications for the keyboard compose sequences popularly applied
to enter Ethiopic text.
- Messages Catalogs (NLS)
- The dialog expressions used by the operating system and software
that may be applied through National Language Support. An NLS
package for Linux is available here.
- Vocabulary of expressions for the common statements in pull down and
pop-up menus applied in software.
- Dates and Times
- A specification of the display formats as well as description of
the calendar and time systems.
- Icons and Other GUI Glyphs
- A library of graphic symbols meaningful in the target cultures.
- Environment Attributes
- The locales appropriate for an ELUX work space. Also....
The ELUX Specification
Composing the specification will be the major work involved in designing ELUX.
<==Back To ``From He To Po''
Return to ACG Homepage